putting 5th edition into 6 levels

greetings creatures

In an attempt to flatten the power curve and ensure that players get something interesting at every level, I went through and flattened every 5th edition class into 6 levels.

Taking after KNAVE, I personally think 10 levels is a pretty good standard. Each level is a meaningful progression step but it also feels like there's a good gap between the weakest characters and the strongest. I like that about class systems, how they contextualize power and progression in a setting. Each class gets their own role in the world.

So why 6? Mostly to see if I could. To my surprise, there are some classes (wizard, druid) where it was really hard to give them something interesting at every level. With only 6! Some classes (monk) have so many features they're bursting at the seams. Cramming them into 6 levels was hard, but I think it works out.

It would be great if I could playtest this, I think it would work really well. Alas, my players actually somehow like picking apart their 20 levels, even if 3/4 of them are boring and they never actually get to play above 11th level.


 


 


Comments

  1. the damn link doesnt show up cos i screwed up the color selection on blogger. if it doesnt get fixed, you can access it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eIOy0Q1ofYwinWiDd8Uqk8qBqwDACorN0_IOA7c45tg/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment